Monday, September 26, 2011

99 Cent Store Display Easel + Homemade Chalk Paint

I have this huge love/hate relationship with the 99 Cent store. 
Today, I intended to go in for a few specific things.  Probably spend $5 max!  This didn't happen.  It NEVER happens.  I even tried going in without a cart hoping this would limit my purchases to what I could only carry. 
$5...yeah, right!  I spent $25 BUCKS!
Punish me now, Allowance Fairy!

I did buy this display easel.  Nothing special and probably a bit cheap, but I liked that it had the word "family" at the bottom.
I revamped it a bit and like it a whole lot better now.  I promise to show you the "before and after" tomorrow, but right now, I want to show you the paint I used.

I mixed a little bit of this...
 with a little bit of this.
Why not, it says chalk!?!

You can buy this from any sporting goods store.  It usually comes in a brick.  I just broke off a big piece, placed it in a plastic sandwich baggie, let the excess air out, closed it tight and used my rolling pin to roll the chunk into loose powder.  

This is my ratio:
1/4 measuring cup paint of your choice
4 1/2 TBSP chalk powder
With this ratio, the consistency of the paint was like a thick cream.  Still pourable, but barely.

I have no personal experience with the fabulous AS Chalk Paint.  I've never seen it and I've never used it, so clearly, I can't begin to say if this is similar to hers at all.  I can't even tell you if this is the "right" consistency or even a decent recipe for goodness sakes. 
And surely hers doesn't have little bits of chalk particles still floating in her paint mixture.   
What I can say is that I like it.  A lot!  And I plan on using it again on bigger projects.

I'll post all about it tomorrow!

Enjoy being prissy!
-Prissyville

No comments:

Post a Comment