Monday, October 17, 2011

Mickey Mouse Pumpkin

There are so many awesome pumpkins out there!  Some of the ideas people come up with are so creative! Leaving mine just plain orange seemed sooo "yesterday"! (do people say that anymore?)
Recently returning from Disneyland, Mickey pumpkins were still on my mind when I was thinking about some other way to jazz up my pumpkins.
Mickey Mouse Pumpkin at Magic Kingdom 
Wanting to try something a bit more creative this Halloween and while still in Disney mode, I decided to create this one for my daughter.  She's a HUGE Mickey fan! 
This is the Mickey image that I decided to use.
Image Detail
If I find the time, I may also make this one, just to complete the set.
Image Detail
I started with a medium pumpkin.  I printed out a copy of Mickey's template to visually follow since I was going to have to freehand his image onto the pumpkin.  I tried using chalk, but it didn't transfer well.  A crayon did much better. 
I began painting with the black acrylic paint.  I'd suggest starting with all lighter colors first since they are easier to correct and paint over if you make a mistake.  I should have started with the eyes but I was too anxious to see his face take shape.
It went from this...
to this...

 Oh yeah, the ears!
I found a set of mouse ears in the costume section of the Dollar Store that I thought would make for some pretty fab Mickey Ears!!  They were attached to a headband and I simply cut them off.  I reinforced each ear with galvanized wire I already had and left about 2" of the wire extending from each side to insert into the pumpkin. 
I'm liking him so much that I might just find the time to do Minnie too. 

Enjoy being prissy!
-Prissyville

6 comments:

  1. You are true Mickey fan. I love this. thanks so much for sharing with my newbie party.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so cute!!! We so need to carve and paint some pumpkins this year! Thanks for the visit and the sweet comment @TheDedicatedHouse! Hope your Monday is grand! Toodles, Kathryn

    ReplyDelete
  3. Adorable! My son would love this! Thanks for stopping by Reading Confetti!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is adorable!! I'm sure your daughter loved it!

    Also thanks for stopping by my blog and leaving a thoughtful comment for my pumpkin:D

    ReplyDelete
  5. I always wanted to visit Disney at Halloween time.I love your Mickey Pumpkin!

    Thanks for stopping by my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You had me at Mickey and he would be so proud! So cute and you did an amazing job! I would love for you to link up Thursday (actually it starts tonight) to It’s a Party!
    www.acreativeprincess.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete